Heart Surgeon Performing Miracles

Michael with Dr. Mark Bleiweis

When asked during an interview with Shands why he decided to enter the field of Pediatric Cardiology, Dr. Bleiweis, without hesitation, answered, “During medical school… I saw my first open heart surgery and I knew from that moment I was going to be a heart surgeon. And the next day I saw a child operated on for Tetralogy of Fallot and, I’ll never forget it, from that minute on I knew I was going to be a heart surgeon who took care of children.” Dr. Bleiweis stayed true to that resolution he made to become a heart surgeon and is now considered to be one of the top cardiothoracic surgeons in the country. Some of his greatest achievements include his success with the Berlin Heart surgery in 2007, the Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education Career Development Award, and his research on “Cell Therapy for RV Failure in Tetralogy of Fallout.”

As for how the patients view Dr. Bleiweis, a quick peek into his office would reveal exactly how they feel toward him and his work. Covering his walls are thank you cards, children’s hand-drawn pictures, and photographs of happy, healthy kids post-surgery. All have been sent by patients and their families whose lives have been changed for the better through his remarkable work. For instance, the grandmother of an infant who underwent open heart surgery, described Dr. Bleiweis as “the best and most caring doctor I have ever dealt with.” She then described how he came into her granddaughter’s recovery room after the surgery and “stayed watching her stats and monitors for about two hours to make sure she was going to be okay.” She then added, “If we asked a question, he answered it without hesitation. I just can’t say enough about him.” This is just an example of one of the many happy families who have worked with Dr. Bleiweis and entrusted him with the medical care of their child. His skill and expertise have, quite literally, touched the hearts of many children and helped them all to lead a joyful and healthy life.

For more information on Dr. Mark Bleiweis, M.D., or to schedule an appointment with the UF Congenital Heart Center, please contact (352) 273-7770.

Patient commentary is from Vitals.com in a review of Dr. Bleiweis.

Article by Sheri Onorati