Learning your child has, or you have, a congenital heart condition is devastating; the diagnosis induces anxiety and fear, and sets off a flurry of questions in your mind. No matter when the diagnosis occurs – whether in utero, at birth, in early childhood, or even in adulthood — the UF Health Congenital Heart Center can help you and your family through the diagnosis, care and treatment plan. We are a singular source of multiple medical solutions.
The UF Health Congenital Heart Center team members are highly-skilled, highly-qualified physicians and clinical staff in the field of pediatric and adult congenital heart care. We employ current approaches and technologies in care to solve even the most complex congenital heart defects, and provide expert care for patients. Our families travel from across the state, the country and even around the world, looking for answers, and we offer an integrated, multidisciplinary approach to help all of our patients to not only extend but also improve the quality of their lives.
We recognize the essential role parents and families play in helping young and adult patients live with their congenital heart disease. Our center incorporates medical and surgical practices to provide seamless care to patients and open communication to their families.
U.S. News & World Report has ranked the UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital among the top 25 pediatric cardiology and heart surgery centers in the country and top in the state of Florida.
A nationally and internationally recognized Center of Excellence for providing state-of-the-art care to pediatric and adult patients who have congenital heart disease, acquired heart disease and heart failure, the UF Health Congenital Heart Center provides multi-specialty care through one simple point of access.
We bring together expertise in the areas of:
- Pediatric cardiology and cardiovascular surgery for newborns through adults, for congenital cardiac abnormalities of all complexities, including single-ventricle defects and valve repair/replacement
- Pediatric and adult congenital and acquired heart disease
- Interventional and diagnostic heart catheterization
- Invasive electrophysiology, including pacemakers and automatic implantable cardioverter defibrillators
- Non-invasive, 3D imaging using echocardiography, magnetic resonance imaging, and computed tomography scans
- Prenatal diagnosis, including fetal echocardiography
- Heart failure, including for cardiomyopathies
- Bridge-to-transplant implantations such as the Berlin Heart, an external ventricular-assist device designed especially for children; HeartWare(R); and the SynCardia Total Artificial Heart(R), an internal artificial device that replaces the patient’s own heart;
- Heart, lung and heart-lung transplantation
- Evaluation for heart murmur, arrhythmias, chest pain and syncope
- Acquired pediatric heart disorders such as Kawasaki Syndrome, rheumatic heart disease, cardiomyopathies and myocarditis
- Preventive cardiology (i.e. obesity, hypertension, lipid, cholesterol disorders)
Request an appointment online, or call us at 352.273.7770 or toll free at 866.696.2333, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., EST.